Alex Ross has blogged quite a bit over the last few years about the internet and musical groups. Applying some of what he has said, information Drew McManus has posted at Adaptistration, and what I have put together from looking at different musical organizations' web site, I have all sorts of ideas about what's useful:
- Have a web site!
- Made it good-looking and functional.
- Keep it accurate and up to date.
- Post sound samples within what's legal. I personally know nothing about how royalties work when a performance of copyrighted music is posted on the net.
- Sell tickets on the site.
- Have a provision for people to make donations to the group.
- Have a mailing list sign-up page. Um, email list.
- Post photos.
- Have audition info posted - dates, audition process, who to contact.